Designing an Integrated PCI Express System PCIe Gen3 - LIVE ONLINEPLC2 ONLINE
Learn how to implement a Xilinx PCI Express® core in custom applications to improve time to market with the PCIe® core design.
The focus is on:
- Constructing a Xilinx PCI Express system within the customer education reference design
- Enumerating various Xilinx PCI Express core products
- Identifying the advanced capabilities of the PCIe specification
This course also focuses on the AXI Streaming interconnect.
The theoretical content is supplemented by exercises carried out by the participant.
Duration: 4 mornings of 4 hours each
Times: 9.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m. Lecture part 1
11.00 a.m. - 11.15 a.m. 15 minute break
11.15 a.m. - 1.15 p.m. Lecture part 2
Exercises: self paced by the participants. Estimated time for completion appr. 2-3 hours. At the end of a lecture, the exercises to be performed by participants are discussed. The results / sample solutions are presented by the trainer the next day.
After registration: the participant receives the presentation documents in electronic form (PDF) as well as the workbook for the exercises, the login data and a list of
requirements to be done in advanced.
After completing this comprehensive training, you will have the necessary skills to:
- Selecting the appropriate core for your application
- Specifying requirements of an endpoint application
- Connecting this endpoint with the core
- Utilizing FPGA resources to support the core
- Constructing a basic PCIe system
- Simulating the design
- Implement the design
- Debug the design
- Xilinx PCI Express Solutions
- Connecting Logic to the Core
- PCIe Core Customization
- Packet Formatting Details
- Simulating a PCIe System Design
- Endpoint Application Considerations
- PCI Express in Embedded Systems
- Application Focus DMA
- Design Implementation and PCIe Configuration
- Root Port Applications
- Debugging and Compliance
- Interrupts and Error Management
Lab 1: Constructing the PCIe Core – This lab familiarizes you with the necessary flow for generating a Xilinx Integrated PCI Express Endpoint core from the IP catalog. You will select appropriate parameters and create the PCIe core used throughout the labs.
Lab 2: Simulating the PCIe Core – This lab demonstrates the timing and behavior of a typical link negotiation using the Vivado simulator. You will observe and capture transaction layer packets.
Lab 3: Using the PCI Express Core in IP Integrator – This lab familiarizes you with all the necessary steps and recommended settings to use the PCIe solutions in an IP integrator block design.
Lab 4: Exploring the Xilinx DMA – This lab familiarizes you with all the necessary steps to set up and perform DMA transfers.
Lab 5: Implementing the PCIe Design – This lab familiarizes you with all the necessary steps and recommended settings to turn the HDL source to a bitstream by using the Tandem configuration mode.
Lab 6: Debugging the PCIe Design – This lab illustrates how to use the Vivado logic analyzer to monitor the behavior of the core and a small endpoint application for proper operation.
Note: Lab 5 and Lab 6 require a running PCIe system using the KCU105 board. These labs will run remotely. All other labs can run locally.
Experience with PCIe specification protocol
Working experience with VHDL or Verilog
Some experience with Xilinx implementation tools
Some experience with a simulation tool, preferably the Vivado® simulator
Moderate digital design experience